When it comes to your dental health, it’s important to prioritize high-level training and state-of-the-art procedures when you’re picking your practitioner.
Though many consumers have heard about Invisalign®, few know what goes into achieving certification. What is Invisalign? Is it only useful for cosmetic purposes? Do dentists and orthodontists need special training? And what sets specialists apart from the others? Fredericksburg Orthodontics is proud to be a Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider with the expertise and specialized training that Invisalign requires.
First of all, what’s Invisalign®?
You may be aware that Invisalign, true to its name, offers an alternative to metal braces. What are some cosmetic and convenience perks to using Invisalign over braces?
- Feels better – Invisalign uses digital imaging to make sure that your aligners are custom-made to perfectly fit your mouth.
- Works faster – The Invisalign SmartTrack material can align teeth 50% faster.
- Practically invisible – gone are the days of shiny metallic braces. Invisalign is a completely discreet, nearly invisible solution so you can feel confident in your smile.
And Invisalign doesn’t just help you with the cosmetic appearance of your smile. Here are some issues that Invisalign can treat:
- Crowded teeth. When teeth are crowded, it’s more difficult to brush and floss which can eventually build up to plaque and tartar on your teeth.
- Open bite. Invisalign can also help with an open bite, which is when your top and bottom teeth don’t match up when you take a bite. This can actually cause difficulty chewing food.
- Gap teeth. When you have large spaces between your teeth, it’s easier for food to get stuck in the pockets between teeth, which can eventually lead to gum disease.
Only highly-trained specialists can offer Invisalign treatments
In addition to its obvious cosmetic and dental benefits, Invisalign procedures promise something else: increased training by your practitioner.
Not just anyone can provide Invisalign to patients. In order to fit patients with Invisalign, providers have to study the implications and clinical considerations of Invisalign, train their team on its efficacy, and master the Invisalign software.
The first step is to attend the Invisalign Fundamentals course, where providers have to attend a live, lecture/clinical course to learn how to offer Invisalign. In addition, their team has to attend a live, lecture/participation course as well.
This training course teaches professionals:
- How to make sure Invisalign works for each individual. Each Invisalign-certified provider will be able to tell if this treatment is right for you.
- How to integrate Invisalign seamlessly into their practice. This means they’ll be able to fit Invisalign in with a variety of other treatments to give you the most holistic treatment options available.
- How to use the Invisalign software. The Invisalign software helps doctors tailor the system for your teeth.
Diamond Providers status sets some Invisalign providers apart
Once a provider has attended the Invisalign Fundamentals course and proven their competency with the procedure, they’re eligible to work on patients. However, it’s important to realize that some practitioners have more experience than others.
Align Technology is a global medical device company that pioneered Invisalign in 1999. They offer a tiered system to reward providers for the hours that they’ve put in towards Invisalign expertise.
Doctors earn points with each Invisalign treatment that they complete. With Align Technology’s tiered program, the Diamond level indicates that your orthodontist is in one of the highest tiers of experience. In order to reach the Diamond Tier, practitioners in 2018 must have completed at least 140 Full Treatments within the last 6 months. So not only does the practitioner need to successfully complete more than a hundred cases, but those cases all have to fall within the 6 month time period to qualify.
According to the Invisalign website, a star icon in conjunction with Diamond status means that your practitioner is also qualified to use Invisalign for teens and Invisalign for kids. In addition to the Diamond-level showing that your practitioner has extra experience, their commitment to this tier-based system proves that they’re willing to back up their practice with extra certification.
If you’re looking for an Invisalign provider, Dr. Almy of Fredericksburg Orthodontics has the experience to back up her credentials. Dr. Almy is a Diamond-level Invisalign provider. This combination of training and experience makes her a great choice to start your Invisalign journey. Schedule a complimentary consultation today and see what sets Dr. Almy apart from the rest! Check out our blog to learn more.