With braces, it is more important than ever to keep your teeth and gums their healthiest. Getting braces requires adopting a new oral hygiene routine and good habits that promote the healthiest environment for your teeth and gums. When you have braces you must be diligent in cleaning your teeth to avoid bad breath, swollen gums, discolored teeth and decay. If you remove plaque regularly during treatment, you’ll experience better results and reduced treatment time. Follow these tips to help you keep your teeth and braces shiny and clean.
Tips on Keeping Braces Shiny and Clean
- Take it one tooth at a time. Spend at least two minutes brushing your teeth twice a day. Make sure to pay close attention to the front side (bracket side) of your teeth, the back of your teeth, as well as the chewing surfaces.
- Remember your angles. It is important for gum health to brush the top teeth with your brush angled down and the bottom teeth with your brush angled up. This will help loosen food particles from your teeth and gums and optimize your oral health.
- Always be prepared. To make sure you are taking the best care of your teeth with braces, it is imperative to take a toothbrush and toothpaste with you wherever you go. Having your toothbrush with you will allow you to remove sticky food particles after eating in a timely manner which helps avoid plaque build-up.
- Fluoride is your friend. Fluoride helps prevent cavities. Be sure to brush with fluoride toothpaste. Rinse with fluoride mouthwash at least once a day.
- Floss, floss, and floss. Floss your teeth once a day. This is one of the most important cleaning exercises you can do to help prevent gum disease. Flossing will help prevent plaque from building up between your teeth, thus reducing your risk of decay. Flossing also helps reduce bad breath.
- See your dentist twice a year. It is your job to clean your teeth every day. However, you will still need to visit your dentist regularly while in treatment to get the deep, thorough cleaning that only a professional can provide.
Fredericksburg Orthodontics Provides Individual Service
Following these tips for keeping your teeth and braces shiny and clean during orthodontic treatment will expedite the time it takes to achieve your lifelong smile. At Fredericksburg Orthodontics, we provide individualized, caring service because we know that every person—and every smile—is unique. To find out if you are a candidate for orthodontic treatment please request a consultation today.